Current:Home > InvestPredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center:2 more Connecticut officers fired after man became paralyzed in police van -Capitatum
PredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center:2 more Connecticut officers fired after man became paralyzed in police van
SafeX Pro View
Date:2025-04-06 11:16:10
Two more police officers have PredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Centerbeen fired in connection with a June 2022 arrest in New Haven, Connecticut, in which a man became paralyzed after getting injured in the back of a speeding police van. A total of four officers have now been fired in the wake of the incident.
The New Haven Board of Police Commissioners voted Wednesday to terminate Officer Oscar Diaz, who was driving the van, and Sgt. Betsy Segui, the city said in a news release.
Earlier this month, the board also voted to fire officers Jocelyn Lavandier and Luis Rivera.
All four had been suspended since last summer, and the firings were recommended by the New Haven Police Chief Karl Jacobson, the city said. A fifth officer who was suspended for the incident, Ronald Pressley, retired in January, according to the New Haven Register.
All five were criminally charged last November with second-degree reckless endangerment.
On June 19, 2022, Randy Cox was arrested at a New Haven block party after officers responded to a weapons complaint. Police at the time said Cox, an ex-felon, was carrying a firearm illegally.
Cox was placed in the back of a police van being driven by Diaz, police said. The van was speeding when Diaz came to a sudden stop to avoid a collision with another vehicle, causing Cox — who was not wearing a seatbelt — to hit his head and injure his neck.
Cox wound up being paralyzed from the chest down.
Portions of the incident were captured on police bodycam video. Cox, unable to move, can be heard repeatedly asking for help as officers disregard his injuries. He was processed and dragged into a cell before officers finally called for an ambulance.
"Mr. Cox was mistreated," Jacobson, then the New Haven assistant police chief, said last June. "He should've received medical attention immediately. We can't defend anything that was released."
Earlier this month, the city of New Haven reached a $45 million misconduct settlement with Cox.
New Haven Mayor Justin Elicker said Wednesday in a statement that the board's decisions to fire all four officers were "important and necessary steps towards ensuring accountability for the mistreatment of Randy Cox while he was in their custody and care."
- In:
- Police Officers
- Connecticut
veryGood! (6)
Related
- Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
- To the moon and back: Astronauts get 1st look at Artemis II craft ahead of lunar mission
- Appeals court rules against longstanding drug user gun ban cited in Hunter Biden case
- Millions of kids are missing weeks of school as attendance tanks across the US
- Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
- Grocery deals, battery disposal and phone speed: These tech tips save you time and cash
- What is hip-hop? An attempt to define the cultural phenomenon as it celebrates 50 years
- Arizona state fish, the Apache trout, is no longer considered endangered
- The FBI should have done more to collect intelligence before the Capitol riot, watchdog finds
- Federal judge will hear arguments on potential takeover of New York City’s troubled jail system
Ranking
- Sarah J. Maas books explained: How to read 'ACOTAR,' 'Throne of Glass' in order.
- Striking screenwriters will resume negotiations with studios on Friday
- Iowa State RB Jirehl Brock, three other starters charged in gambling investigation
- Snake in a toilet: Slithering visitor to Arizona home camps out where homeowner least expects it
- Appeals court scraps Nasdaq boardroom diversity rules in latest DEI setback
- Coal miners plead with feds for stronger enforcement during emotional hearing on black lung rule
- Police detain 18 people for storming pitch at Club América-Nashville SC Leagues Cup match
- 41 reportedly dead after migrant boat capsizes off Italian island
Recommendation
Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
Who Is Taylor Russell? Meet the Actress Sparking Romance Rumors With Harry Styles
Social Security COLA 2024 estimate didn't increase with CPI report. Seniors still struggle.
Maui fires kill dozens, force hundreds to evacuate as Biden approves disaster declaration
'Vanderpump Rules' star DJ James Kennedy arrested on domestic violence charges
England midfielder Lauren James handed two-match ban at World Cup
US probing Virginia fatal crash involving Tesla suspected of running on automated driving system
D.C. United terminates Taxi Fountas' contract for using discriminatory language